Playing Parx today? Check out today’s piece by Andrew Rdesinski
Follow him on Twitter at : Phillyboy415
Parx Racing 8/25/21
Parx Full Card Selections for Wednesday August 25th 2021
Race 1: #5 Big Red Seven
- Big Red Seven has had a solid 2021 and finally won last time out at Penn National for the bottom level in this condition over there. Today she comes back to Parx to try and keep up the good form. This 9yo mare has 72 starts under her belt with exactly half of those starts in the money. She is ultra game and should have some ability today especially if she can get the early lead.
Race 2- #2 Elite Mission
- With both the main early speed contenders scratching out of this race, it leaves only two outside speed horse left which both show cheap speed in my opinion. This should set up for a closer and I think this horse might be sitting on a good effort. Elite Mission is coming into this race 2nd off the layoff and gets Silvestre Gonzalez who is on fire lately and rides well for Herold Whylie. His return to the races was at Monmouth in which he didn’t really fire. He could just need the whip and also needed a race under his belt to get going again. Should improve here.
Race 3- #2 Heart of a Dreamer
- Heart of a dreamer had to go wide last time out in order to make a run for 2nd place. Today he is breaking from the 2 hole compared to the farthest outside post position in the last race. Angel Castillo should have this horse closer to the field today as well as there isn’t much speed lined up early in this bunch. Hopefully, Angel can sit about 3rd or 4th down the backstretch and make one run out of the turn for the win.
Race 4- #4 Speighster’s Gold
- My main pick here scratched so I am left with this horse as my alternate and its not a bad alternative. This race doesn’t have much early speed now and this horse should be on the lead early. This is a cheap horse but I think Roberto Rosado will be sending this horse to the front to try and get a good position. I also think this horse wants two turns which he gets again today.
Race 5- #2 Reiterate
- Reiterate finally drops into the level she belongs in in my opinion. This florida bred was running against starter allowances and hasn’t been at this bottom level since she was running at Gulfstream Park West aka Calder. The last two races this filly has had some trouble starts and troubled trips. I think the layoff and then immediate drop to the bottom shows this horse has her issues but I think Martinez is also looking for a win due to him having a small barn.
Race 6- #1 Hodler
- I wanted to try and beat the Jamie Ness horse today but with the scratches and coming off the turf, this horse just seems to be much the best. This horse gets lasix and blinkers for the first time today and I think that is all this horse needs. Also I think this horse much rather have the dirt than turf. I think this horse is cheap but should be better than the rest here based on connections and equipment changes alone.
Race 7- #3 Practical Coach
- Practical Coach seems to be the horse with more potential out of the two Butch Reid/Cash is King LLC entries here. This 2yo colt out of Practical Joke has had very good workouts leading up to this and is coming into this off a bullet work out. He seems to be fast early and should be in front quickly out of the gate. He only has one breeze out of the gate reported on DRF’s forms and it was a 5F work going 1:01 and change which isn’t half bad as this was also only a handful of works in to his preparation for this race. Frankie Pennington gets to ride this one over the other entrant which Frankie rode in that horse’s debut as well. Should be tough here in debut.
Race 8- #9 Oldfashioned Club
- Oldfashioned Club ran a huge race last time out at Delaware and now Ness brings him back to Parx in which he also has had success. He gets Ruben Silvera once again and there seems to be some cheap speed in this race in which this gelding can sit right off and make one run. Ruben also might send depending on how the track is playing today and I think the track will be lightning fast today as well. Should be a single today.
Race 9- #5 Bayleaf
- Bayleaf is back in again today and if you know me I am a big fan of Bayleaf and last time out she just didn’t fire like I thought she was but she was due for a bounce. She returns today and looks to be lone speed and she also steps up again in class which is interesting. She is getting better with age and she should be tough here once again.
Race 10- #2 First Citizen
- First Citizen should get the lead here today and Jamie Ness has been on fire per usual and gets Ruben Silvera who is also dominating per usual. This horse can also sit off the pace and make his run if need be but I think this horse will dominate today. Just by far the best horse in this bunch to me.
Race 11- #10 Our West Indy
- Our West Indy ships in from Monmouth today and Kelly Breen looks to bring the apprentice with him who rode this horse last time out. I don’t know much about this apprentice but I know he has less than 10 starts altogether under his belt. I think this horse will be sent to the lead early and could hang on if the track is playing that way which it should be. I think you can get some value on this horse as well due to the lack of experience from the jockey.