Thanks to Rod Allums Jr., John Rallis, and Ryan Willis for providing their input on the Breeders Crown races coming up this Friday and Saturday at Woodbine Mohawk Park. For even more analysis on the Breeders Crown, check out the Breeders Crown Roundtable on In The Money Media’s Youtube Channel: https://youtu.be/1bw1VjLSu7M. -Edison Hatter
Friday’s 2-Year-Old Championship Races:
RACE 6 – BREEDERS CROWN FINAL | 2YO COLT TROT (Written by John Rallis)
(4) CELEBRITY BAMBINO battled some sickness in September but seems to be rounding into form at the right time, following his impressive victory in the elimination last week. He draws well and can do whatever’s asked of him. (9) OH WELL has been stellar all year, but after losing his elimination last week, he draws an outside post for this final. His price will be better because of it, but the trip might not be. He is still a main threat. (1) GAINES HANOVER’s reward for winning his elimination in a lifetime best is a spot on the rail. This son of Cantab Hall has won his last three contests going up against his own age group, including a Champlain Stakes victory on September 15th. He won’t be able to leave out given his starting spot, so he’ll have to hope for a helmet. He can’t be dismissed. (5) KILMISTER looked like the best trotting colt in his age group, after starting off his career a perfect 5-5, but has been winless in three tries since; including a couple of miscues. He will likely be overlooked because of it which will help his price, but I’m more comfortable slotting him underneath.
RACE 7 – BREEDERS CROWN FINAL | 2YO FILLY PACE (John Rallis)
I’m going to go with an upset here in this division and I’ll pick (2) STRONG POISION to do it. She blasted to the lead from an outside draw last week and fell short to another talented filly who tripped out. She fought hard until the very end of the wire and can get a big piece of it coming from off the pace. She had been chasing a talented filly in Lexington who would likely be favoured if she was in this contest, and did so with plenty of interest. With the right trip, she can go by these late and pick up a victory. (5) SYLVIA HANOVER has done no wrong all year. She’s been a winner in all but one of her starts, where she 2nd because she started from the second-tier. She draws well and will be put on the engine, where she’s been extremely tough to go by. She will be the one to beat, but there’s no doubting that this is her toughest test to date. (4) MCSEASIDE put forth an impressive effort despite losing her elimination, after making a sweeping, three-wide move to take the lead after the half. She paced a 3rd-Q in 26.1, all while pacing hard through the wire. She loses Dexter Dunn, but picks up Tim Tetrick. (1) CHARLESTON was a determined winner in her elimination, tripping-out past the choice to kick home in a sizzling 26.3. She has won 6 of 8 starts this year, with one of her losses coming to Sylvia Hanover despite a perfect two-hole trip.
RACE 8 – BREEDERS CROWN FINAL | 2YO FILLY TROT (John Rallis)
(4) SPECIAL WAY came into her elimination on a five-race win-streak, and made it six after an impressive performance in her elimination. She made a first over bid and trotted away from her rivals with ease. She was off three weeks heading into that contest and should be much tighter going into the final. (7) RIGHTEOUS RESOLVE was one of two fillies to earn a bye heading into this BC Final — and rightfully so. She has dominated the Mohawk circuit all year, and had many clamouring that she enter the Mohawk Million earlier in the month. This is the toughest field she will have faced up to this point of her young career, but I see no reason why she won’t be up to the task. (3) INSTAGRAM MODEL is the other filly who earned a bye heading into this BC final. This daughter of Chapter Seven is 5-6 in her young career, including a victory in the Jim Doherty Final. She hasn’t raced in over a month and will retain the services of Scott Zeron, who guided her to her first-career victory back on July 15th. (6) WALNER PAYTON has had a tough time getting to the choice in their five meetings in Lexington. She’s had a strong 2YO campaign overall, hitting the board in every start (including 3 victories) and is likely good for a piece in here tonight.
RACE 9 – BREEDERS CROWN FINAL | 2YO COLT PACE (John Rallis)
(3) CONFEDERATE was off a month going into his elimination and responded by winning it in an impressive, 1:50.2. He’s won his last 5 starts going into this Breeders Crown Final and is clearly the one to beat here. (6) COMBUSTION drew poorly in his elimination, got away too far out of it to win, but qualified for the final. He paced a strong back-half in 53.3 and should be driven a lot differently here in the final, in addition to getting a favourable post. (2) HANDLELIKEAPORSCHE was also impressive in his division of the eliminations, making a first-over bid, while pacing away to victory. He’ll have to be extra-sharp to beat this group. (7) STOCKADE SEELSTER will look to bounce-back in this BC final after losing his elimination, the same way he won the Metro Pace after losing in his elimination for that event. This son of State Treasurer has been tremendous all season, but this group of grand-circuit company may be a little more than he can handle.
Saturday’s Championship Races:
RACE 2 – BREEDERS CROWN FINAL | OPEN MARE TROT (Ryan Willis)
(8) WHEN DOVESCRY looks to add her first Breeders Crown trophy to her collection. Recent races have all been very good. Think she can get the better of the other two standouts and might be second or third choice. (5) BELLA BELLINI hasn’t been amazing at all recently. I can forgive her first lifetime half mile track start. Didn’t miss second by much to Atlanta at Dayton after being first over from post 9. (7) ATLANTA has win basically everything in racing except a Breeders Crown final. Last chance at it tonight. (6) REFINED finished off the superfecta in the Oaks at Dayton. She can do that again here.
RACE 3 – BREEDERS CROWN FINAL | OPEN MARE PACE (Ryan Willis)
(5) GRACE HILL timed everything just right last week draws a perfect post with that victory. Seems like a race that might have lots of action with how it was drawn. Hopefully McNair can be patient and pounce. (1) TEST OF FAITH is undefeated in Canada. Wasn’t exactly poetry in motion last week. Very fumbly gaited up the backstretch. Miller seemed very confident nobody was going by but going to try and beat her from the tricky pylon post. (3) MIKALA had missed a month and got a conservative drive from Brennan. I imagine she’ll be sharper and more aggressive. (2) SO MUCH MORE is the local queen and just missed last week. Will be around somewhere.
RACE 4 – BREEDERS CROWN FINAL | 3YO FILLY TROT (Rod Allums Jr.)
(4) JOVIALITY S has been closing with wicked speed recently. She looks primed for this one. (2) JIGGY JOG S is another must-use with her current form. Versatility is her best friend. (6) FASHION SCHOONER will be the one to catch. If she can steal a fraction, she can upset these. (7) WARRAWEE XENIA has beaten these before and she has home-turf advantage here.
RACE 5 – BREEDERS CROWN FINAL | 3YO FILLY PACE (Rod Allums Jr.)
(4) SEA SILK should rebound adding Lasix again. Expect her to take no prisoners on the lead. (2) BOUDOIR HANOVER has an edge for the good draw. Her late kick is fierce if she’s right. (10) NIKI HILL has a post which really impairs her strategy. Use her with others just based on that fact. (7) MAX CONTRACT will need a speed duel up front to close into. Not out of the question.
RACE 6 – BREEDERS CROWN FINAL | 3YO COLT TROT (Rod Allums Jr.)
(5) BRANDED BY LINDY draws perfect and was Yannick’s choice to drive. He looked to have a little left in elims. (1) KING OF THE NORTH cut tough fractions last week. Expect him to roll early again. (3) SLAY will be aggressive with Joe Bongiorno in the bike. The setup looks in his favor for a win chance.
RACE 7 – BREEDERS CROWN FINAL | 3YO COLT PACE (Rod Allums Jr.)
(2) BYTHEMISSAL has been ridiculous and is relatively fresh. Give him the slight edge. (5) PEBBLE BEACH is an obvious contender and will be put in the right spot early. Must use. (8) PONDA WARRIOR had a furious rally last week. His closing speed bodes well. (6) I DID IT MYWAY should get a good trip. I don’t think he wins but will use underneath.
RACE 8 – BREEDERS CROWN FINAL | OPEN TROT (Ryan Willis)
(5) ECURIE D DK got his pipes cleared at Yonkers and it didn’t work well for him. Was good here in the Maple Leaf Trot and picks up Dexter Dunn, who is the only thing that can hurt is his price. (2) FASHION FRENZIE has been awesome. He didn’t get an easy trip in the Maple Leaf Trot. If he makes the lead and gets a rest anywhere, watch out. (8) BACK OF THE NECK can’t be much sharper than he is right now. Imagine we hear from him late. Possibly too late? (6) JUJUBEE got his first win of the year in Lexington. He is fast enough and has the best post.
RACE 9 – BREEDERS CROWN FINAL | OPEN PACE (Ryan Willis)
(6) BULLDOG HANOVER went down in defeat chasing a world record in Lexington. Has had an amazing season. Sit back and watch greatness. (3) ALLYWAG HANOVER will be the second choice off a 1:46 win. Who knows when you will get to say that again. (7) TATTOO ARTIST was second to the Bulldog in the Canadian Pacing Derby. Doesn’t have any bad races this year. (2) THIS IS THE PLAN can leave and sit and get a piece.
Leave a Reply